What is Spravato (esketamine)?
• SPRAVATO® is the first FDA-approved nasal spray medication, taken with an oral antidepressant, for treatment-resistant depression in adults.
• If you’ve tried two or more antidepressants* without sufficient relief, talk to your healthcare provider to see if you may have treatment-resistant depression.
• SPRAVATO® is not for use in children and individuals who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
• Spravato (esketamine) medicine for Depression is also available in Folsom, Rocklin, Roseville, Rancho Cordova, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Carmichael, Sacramento, Lincoln, Granite Bay, Elk Grove in the greater Sacramento area of California.
How does SPRAVATO® work?
SPRAVATO® targets the N-methyl-Daspartate (NMDA) receptor and is believed to work differently than currently available oral antidepressants. SPRAVATO® is taken with an oral antidepressant.
Spravato treatment plan consists of:
You will not be able to drive, so plan transportation for treatment days.
You will administer the nasal spray yourself under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
You’ll be monitored for side effects for at least two hours.
Your healthcare provider will tell you when it’s okay to leave.
Do not drive, operate machinery or do anything where you need to be completely alert until the day after a treatment session, following a restful sleep.
Please click here to download Spravato Treatment Plan.
What should I know about the side effects of SPRAVATO®?
Most common side effects:
• Dissociation • Dizziness • Nausea • Feeling sleepy • Spinning sensation • Numbness • Feeling anxious• Lack of energy • Increased blood pressure • Vomiting • Feeling drunk • Feeling very happy or excited
If these common side effects occur, they usually happen right after taking SPRAVATO® and go away the same day.
SPRAVATO® may cause serious side effects including:
Feeling sleepy (sedation) • Feeling disconnected from yourself, your thoughts, feelings and things around you (dissociation) • Abuse and misuse • Increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behavior • Temporary increase in blood pressure that may last about four hours after a dose • Problems with thinking clearly • Bladder problems